Please link to any existing Libre/Open Fonts you may find on the web - they can be under any license as long as its a free software license like the OFL, GPL with exception or MIT/X11/Expat!
- UNB Pro and UNB Office, extensively reworked derivatives of the RedHat Liberation family by Amsterdam-based Gustavo Ferreira - GPLv2+FE can't access website
- Itzadoke OFL check old OFLB
- iStok - GPL+FE
- Grandjean Baskerville derived from GFS Baskerville. OFL
- Barry S's fonts MIT
- Mutante font in cave9 CC
- Vollkorn CC-BY
- Yanone Kaffeesatz CC
- Yanone Tagesschrift CC
- AMS Fonts OFL
- Open Din Schriften Engschrift (OFL, based on PublicDomain master drawings)
- OpenComic Font (CC-BY-SA)
- London 2012 (CC-BY-SA)
- Urdu fonts (PD?)
- Betatype and NitroFurano UbuntuTitling (OFL/GPL)
- Serafettin (GPL)
- RufScript (GPLv3+FE)
- OSI CAD Font (GPLv3+FE)
- Serrafettin is a comic font (GPLv2)
- EcoFont is a vera clone with holes in it to save ink, hence the Eco. Licenced under the Bitstream Vera Licence, which is saved with the font.
- Heuristica is a cyrillic extended utopia
- TUG.org's Tex Fonts (especially the GFS fonts) TO DO LATER
- Scribus Wiki: Where can I get good fonts?
- Fedora Lists Lots! Including this GPL futura TO DO LATER
- Verdana, Garamond, and TrueType test fonts GPL - no FE
- Thibault LGPL fonts
- Matt Chisholm's fonts
- Ed Trager's font archive of libre/open Unicode fonts, covering a variety of scripts.
- SIL's list of fonts released under the OFL
- The Font Repository of Alan Wood, with good categorisation.
- Bitstream Vera, open-source
- Dejavu, based on Bitstream Vera, open-source
- Arev, based on Bitstream Vera and Dejavu, open-source
- Adobe Utopia Open Source, see here
- LinuxLibertine font (GPL with FE, OFL)
- Mona Font, a Japanese font for text arts
- OCR-A font (PD)
- Persian Font
- Manchu OpenType Font (OFL)
- Arabeyes Mothana & Thabit (OFL)
- Ancient Hittite Font
- PakType — Pakistani Typography
- Raph Levien's fonts (OFL)
- Roadstencil fonts (OFL) DONE
- Fixedsys (GPL) DONE
- Many libre/open fonts have been created in the TeX world
- greekfontsociety.org already OFL and very high quality! (Broken link)
- thessalonica GPL fonts by Alexej Kryukov STARTED
- Theano (OFL) STARTED
- thessalonica OFL fonts by Alexej Kryukov STARTED
- Dustimo had some GPL fonts, but the .com is down. fonts-ttf-dustismo packages are around and need tracking down.
- TUG.dk Font Catalogue need investigating near the end.
- James kilfiger (OFL SFDs)
- Matts Fonts (GPL) Matt has a tipjar!
- freefont project (GPLv3)
- TeX Gyre extend some common libre/open URW fonts
- Osmanya script
- JUnicode (GPL) Unicode font for medievalists
- Computer Modern Unicode (MIT License)
- Arkpandora is Bitstream Vera with the sizes altered to be drop-in replacements for Microsoft Arial, Times and Verdana
- Bangla fonts Various Bangla unicode smart fonts by Ekushey
- Aurulent Sans (OFL) by Stephen Hartke, along with his excellent list of libre/opent and freeware fonts, including several more of his own.
- Steve Jordi's handwriting fonts (GPL)
- MgOpen is Times New Roman, Optima, Helvetica and VW Rounded with Latin and Greek Glyphs. All fonts with glyphs for the monotoniko system, and one also with glyphs for polytoniko (Open Source License modeled after Bitstream Vera's)
- Rogier van Dalen has made two excellent fonts similar to Verdana and Garamond (GPL)
- Red Hat's Liberation fonts are designed to be metrically compatible with Arial, Times New Roman and Courier New
- arkandis Open Fonts
- Vollkorn Brotschrift Oldstyle serif face, especially meant for body setting (CC-BY)
- linuxart (OFL) and jimmac (OFL) and TomsMon (OFL) from novell hack week
- InkBoyFont (OFL)
-  NanumGothic Coding Font (OFL). Extremely professional monospaced font, has a line height that fits the Korean Hangul script. Was commissioned by Naver, a large Korean portal.
- Aenigma 465 free TrueType fonts by Brian Kent, in a Debian package
- Character's Fonts Most (though not all) are Public Domain
- Rodger White's Public Domain fonts (despite what the readme files say per 
- Peter Wiegel's Cat Fonts GPL with Font Exception and OFL
- Adolfus Public Domain
- Vremya Public Domain
- Liquid Parallax's fonts Public Domain
- Mac Humaine Public Domain
- Diogene's Fonts Public Domain
- wa2ise's fonts Public Domain
- Daniel Nagura's Fonts Public Domain
- Holitter Studios Public Domain
- George William's Font's OFL
- Digna's Handwriting OFL
- Jean Douteau's Fonts OFL
- Hanazono Minchō Very comprehensive CJKV character (Asian logograph) font generated from data from the GlyphWiki project. Contains over 100.000 kanji/hanja/hán tự/hanzi. Custom free software licence (included in zip archive).
- F500 This is the font similar to the one used in the Sony PlayStation video game "Wipeout". Artistic license
- Hank Gillette's fonts Mostly Public Domian
- Objest Dart Available under the Design Science License approved by the FSF
Embrace Ubuntu list
Fedora Fonts Wishlist and Duffys Fonts Page list libre/open fonts and fedora has a list of packaged fonts too
Debian-Art.org has a fonts category
TP on Vintage Sans Serifs
Google's font Directory You can't downlaod the font's here, but the mostly OFL fonts are available on the designers websites and setup for web embedding.
Here is a list of scans of typefaces that could be turned into wonderful libre/open fonts:
- Luc's site has many specimen scans organised, such as Inland and BBS-1907
- TypArchive.com has photos of many hand lettered signs
- Palatino's calligraphy textbook
- ATF Catalogue from 1912
- ATF Catalogue from 1923
- ATF Catalogue from 1934
- ATF Catalogue from 1941
- "Type%20and%20type-founding" The Internet Archive Type section - also search around for Alphabets, Manuscripts and Printing and you'll find specimen books by Monotype, ATF, Cleveland Type Foundry, Davis Printing Company, and others.
- Eben Sorkin's photos (See the Flickr page for instructions on how to download them all)
- Tom's type doodles
- A German type magazine publishes DVDs of old specimens
- ATF the Garamond series
- pepel flickr has type specimens
- bogtrykkeren flickr has many type specimens
- Type Specimen flickr mural with many old specimens
- Manuale Tipografico from Giambattista Bodoni (started .sfd and .svg files at http://pastebin.com/f77612771 and http://pastebin.com/f5af09a86 )
- ATF Garamond scans
- 4 Historical Faces discussion on Typophile
- Avil discussion on Typophile
- Schelter & Giesecke Grotesk is scanned by Paulo Silva. This is a early grotesque, inspiring Helvetica, and this ILT article by Christian Schwartz mentions it has been revived as FF Bau (with original 2 story G) and the single-story ‘g’ is in Alte Haas Grotesk and Nebiolo’s Etruscan.
- Please publish scans of public domain type and link to them here!
Please note the TypeRight ethical guide to revivals.
The San Francisco Public Library has an excellent collection of type founder's specimen books.
Classic X11 6x10 Font For Windows (unknown)
X Windows Fonts for MS Windows ("Free To Use")
A list of Programmer Fonts to look into
AliasFonts at Orgdot - very cool
Debian package xfonts-artwiz
The original Mac distribution of Bitstream Charter contains pixel versions—both regular, bold and bold italic!
Please link to any existing "freeware" fonts you may find on the web that despite being proprietary may be friendly to the Library - these are fonts you typically do not need to pay money to receive, and may or may not come with a license that grants other essential freedoms like redistributing the font and modifying it, but does not fit the free software definition in some way. We will try to persuade these fonts' developers to "Go OFL!"
40 Sans Freeware fonts
15 handwriting freeware fonts
Fresh freware fonts
25 freeware techno fonts
30 best freeware fonts
65 best freeware fonts
Conglomerfont is a weird display collaborative font
Klein is a huge foundry of freeware fonts
The Font Library links to us and others
http://www.alvit.de/blog/article/20-best-license-free-official-fonts - 20 fonts whose authors need contacting to go OFL :-)
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2006/10/11/17-more-free-quality-fonts/ - 17 more!
http://www.larabiefonts.com/ - 380 freeware fonts!
Free Handwriting fonts - Font Garden
40 freeware fonts
Coptic fonts intended as free software not not yet properly licensed
List of 20 good ones
WebFonts.info Lists fonts for CSS3 font linking
Tire Shop demo
20 freeware serif fonts
Toms doodle fonts
fontleech.com lists freeware fonts
Please list foundries to contact and ask if they have any 'off cuts' or fonts they don't earn much from any more, and if they'd like to OFL them; Many foundries offer "freemium" fonts such as Carrois and these might be a good place to start.